The Academy is designed for 10th, 11th and 12th Grades
The primary goal of the San Marcos Health Careers Academy is to teach our students job readiness skills by incorporating frequent hands-on instructional activities that are developed with our industry and post-secondary partners.
Examples of these are job shadowing, service learning opportunities, presentations by guest speakers, cross-curricular research projects, and internships.
In addition, all students are strongly encouraged to join and participate in Health Occupation Students of America, which is an integral part of our academy. The strong commitment from our business and education partners helps us to provide the link between high school, post-secondary education, and the world of work.
Benefits of the Health Career Academy
Our goal is to provide a wide variety of health career experiences so that, upon graduation, students will be prepared for skilled entry-level jobs and/or entrance into colleges, universities or technical schools. Students receive the following benefits by participating.
- Help students gain valuable information and data on careers in the health industry
- Take courses that will expose you to local health care professionals, agencies and clinics through visits and meetings
- Provide real time health career job experience and work site learning for every student
- Earn certificates of competencies in basic health care skills
- Build a career portfolio including a resume, work samples and competency certificate
- Guidance and counseling to help prepare for college or directly into work
- Increase academic skills and broaden options for the future
The Health Careers Academy is fortunate to have a health technologies room, with patient care equipment, a science lab, a computer lab and a media room. We have a strong partnership between San Marcos High School, Santa Barbara City College and Cottage Health Systems.
The Health Careers Academy is designed for 10th, 11th, and 12th graders.
Students need to apply during their Freshman year. We will be accepting applications until January 18, 2019. The completed application can be submitted electronically through this website, or turned into Marcene Tate's mailbox in the front office. We will be accepting applications for the 2019-2020 school year until January 18, 2019.
Once the applications are received, a panel of Health Careers Academy teachers will review all of them and select the students who will be accepted into the academy. The Health Careers Academy strives to be ethnically balanced and to offer opportunities to a wide variety of students. Please download application and brochure if you are interested.